Altiras Recovery seeks to develop beneficial reuse projects for the recovery of solvents, specialty chemicals, or to manufacture products from chemical coproducts or byproducts. The company seeks to develop technology and invest capital in these types of projects for the sustainable, mutual benefit of Altiras and generator of the coproducts or byproducts. However, not all opportunities are right. The following criteria are guidelines for projects that are well suited for Altiras Recovery investment.
Adequate Mutual Economic Benefit:
The first criteria is that the intrinsic value of the solvents or key constituents within the coproduct or byproduct should be adequate to justify the investment (most often multi-million dollar investments). An initial estimate of the potential intrinsic value can be approximated by taking the contained pounds of the valued constituents time the approximate respective market value of those constituents times 80%. The 80% factor is a quick estimate to account for typical recovery yields. In general, plant technical and operations management personnel will have a very good sense of how much money is being lost when these valued constituents are not recovered – even excluding the actual disposal cost. In other cases, the intrinsic value may be low, but disposal costs may be very high. Ultimately, the combination of cost avoidance (waste disposal & transportation) and intrinsic value must be sufficient to justify the capital investment and provide a reasonable return for both the generator of the material and Altiras.
Sustainability has many meanings to different people, but at it’s core, sustainability means “ongoing.” Any potential project should be established in an environment where the opportunity should last for many years. At a minimum, that means:
- If the coproduct, byproduct, or used solvent/intermediate is produced by the manufacturing of Product A, then Product A must be expected to be very stable or growing for the foreseeable future. This means the following must also be true:
- Demand for Product A is expected to be steadily growing
- Supply of Product A in the marketplace will not be growing faster than demand
- There are no disruptive technologies on the horizon that will change how Product A is made, thereby impacting the quality or quantity of the coproducts, byproducts, or used solvents/intermediates
- There are no product B’s that are likely to displace Product A in the foreseeable future
- There are no known regulatory changes that will negatively impact production of Product A
- There are no known regulatory changes that will negatively impact the use of the currently produced coproducts, byproducts, or the use of the specific chemicals that are currently used to make Product A
Stable Market for Finished Products
For any product, it is important to have viable, stable markets. Thus, the products that would be produced from a capital investment in beneficial use must have reliable and stable outlets. The most ideal situation is one in which the finished products could be directly used by the manufacturer who is producing the coproducts or byproducts. Sometimes this is not possible, so a suitable alternative is having the finished products consistently sold in a local market under long-term contract.
RCRA regulations can be confusing. There are a number of viable pathways to accomplish legitimate beneficial reuse of coproducts, byproducts and used chemicals. However, in some cases, the pathway may not be clear. Altiras RCRA experts can help assess the various options for legitimate recycling to ensure a viable project.
Cultural fit is critical to a lasting long-term relationship. Altiras operates in an open, candid culture, driven to create new business opportunities, yet with a desire to enjoy every moment among people we enjoy working with. Our culture is one where we rely on our partners and customers to work with us to jointly solve challenges to our mutual benefit. Simply put, some cultures are a good fit and some are not.
For more information on what types of projects are the right fit for Altiras, please contact Todd Pencarinha at Altiras Houston office at 713-568-3651.